Sunday, January 30, 2011

Cinnamon Roll Success

Once I felt confident in my ability to work with bread dough, I became a little braver. I decided to try my hand at Mom's cinnamon rolls.

I did a few things a little differently, though.

I halved the recipe, since kneading such a large quantity of dough by hand is a little daunting. However, I did use 3 eggs. I did the initial mixing in the mixer, allowing the ingredients to thoroughly combine. Then I kneaded the dough by hand for about 15 minutes, until the dough was soft and malleable.

I actually started with butter that hadn't thoroughly softened, so combining the filling was initially problematic. To create the filling paste, I cut up the butter into small pieces. Then I dropped the butter into the dry filling ingredients and continued to chop the butter into tiny pieces until the mixture became paste-like. 

Next, I microwaved the mixture for 30 seconds to soften the butter and continued to mix until the paste was created. Since I forgot to halve the filling segment of the recipe, my filling was quite thick. I also used vanilla flavoring rather than almond.  

Cinnamon Rolls

Dough:

1 tbl. yeast
1/4 cup water
1 cup milk
3 1/2 tbl shortening
1/2 tsp salt
3 3/4 cup of flour
1/4 cup sugar
2 eggs

Filling:

1/2 cup of brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
1 tbl cinnamon
1/2 cup softened butter

Glaze: 

1/2 tbl. brown sugar
1/3 cup evaporated milk
2 1/4 cups powdered sugar



Grease a large cookie pan and sprinkle lightly with sugar. Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees. Add 1 tbl. yeast to 1/4 cup water. Sprinkle sugar on top and stir. Allow yeast mixture to proof. Scald 1 cup of milk in a small pan. (Tiny bubbles will form around the edges...do not allow the milk to burn.) 

Melt shortening into milk then allow mixture to cool. Combine dry ingredients in a mixer. Add eggs. Add proofed yeast mixture and scalded milk mixture.

Knead. (Be careful to clean your surfaces carefully...remember that the dough contains raw eggs.) Let the dough rise in a covered, greased bowl in a warm place for about 30 minutes.

While dough is rising, combine ingredients for filling in a small bowl. After dough has risen, let rest for 10 minutes and then, on a clean, lightly floured surface, stretch into a 9" x 12" shape. Spread filling. Roll dough from the long side. I made 14 rolls. Spread rolls on cookie sheet and let rise again for about 20 minutes. Bake for 20 minutes. (Mine took 25.)

While rolls are baking, combine 1/2 tbl. brown sugar and 1/3 cup evaporated milk in a sauce pan. Dissolve the sugar in the milk (occurs at a low boil). Add 1 tsp vanilla extract. Combine with 2 1/4 cups powdered sugar in a bowl or mixer. Drizzle glaze over rolls immediately after pulling them out of the oven.

No comments: