Sunday, May 22, 2011

A Summer Adventure, Part I

Next week I'm setting off on an adventure. My wonderful family is good at many things, but long-term planning is not one of them. We've been batting around the idea of adventuring in Utah for a few months now, but somehow trying to coordinate the schedules of eleven people is a little more difficult than we had anticipated.

Then a few days ago, my mom called me. Could I be in Denver by noon on Wednesday? (Do people normally plan cross-country treks more than a week in advance?)

So next week I'm flying to Denver to meet these guys.


 And these girls.



They will have already traveled 19 hours from Indiana. We'll drive the remaining distance to Moab, Utah, where we plan to do this*:



Yes. Those are people up there, dangling in the air, attached to ropes.

The only kink in the plans? I'm terrified of heights. Not just a little squeamish, mind you. T.E.R.R.I.F.I.E.D. I tend to be fairly rational and level-headed. But something about having nothing solid between me and the ground inspires feelings of panic and desperation in me.

Two quotes are running around and around in my head, though.


"Fear is a manipulative emotion that can trick us into living a boring life." - Donald Miller


"Our doubts are traitors, and make us lose the good we oft might win by fearing to attempt" - William Shakespeare 
 
Next week should be interesting.

Continue to Part II here.


*Picture copyright of David Y Knox Photography and taken from http://www.highpointhummer.com/rafting.html.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

hahaha.... (oohhh I can't stop laughing) I love that picture of me and Madeline. The Titanic Pose. Such a classic.