Saturday, May 7, 2011

Happy Mother's Day!

Tomorrow is Mother's Day. My present to my overwhelmingly deserving mom will be late, partly because I'm a poor planner and partly because I would rather give it to her in person. Fortunately, Mom gives a lot of grace in the gift department.

I have been blessed with an amazing mother. A blog post isn't really a sufficient medium to express my appreciation to the woman who has daily poured out her life for my dad, my brothers, my sisters, and me.

My mom has shown me what it means to love unconditionally, unquestioningly, and with total abandon. She has easily been the most influential force on my walk with God. She is an unwavering example of patience and grace.

My mom has a gift for instantly connecting with people and for making everyone, even complete strangers, feel loved. Grocery clerks have poured out their hearts to her in the checkout line. Hundreds of people (literally) have eaten at her table. Men and women and girls and guys of all ages come to her for advice.


So in honor of (really) the best mom in the world and the woman who has taught me everything I know about life and love and people and God, here's a list of some of the wisdom she has shared and shown over the years:
  1. Smile, even if you don't feel like it.
  2. The key to a great conversation is letting the other person talk about him/herself.
  3. Good food solves 90% of the world's problems.
  4. Strapless dresses don't actually look good on very many people.
  5. You'll feel better after you clean.
  6. Self-deprecating humor is the best kind of humor.
  7. There isn't enough time to read everything out there. Skip the trash.
  8. Paint it white.
  9. Black looks good on everybody.
  10. Don't borrow money. Ever.
  11. Take a hostess gift. Always.
  12. Add wine to the ingredients.
  13. Better over-dressed than under-dressed.
  14. Never leave your dishes for the morning.
  15. Don't be easily offended.
  16. Put on some mascara.
  17. Throw it away.
  18. Make your bed.
  19. Stop whining, quit thinking about yourself, and serve somebody else. Now.
  20. It's all about the presentation.
  21. Make some bread.
  22. Be careful handling raw chicken.
  23. Get up earlier.
  24. Go to bed and you'll be better in the morning.
  25. Be sincere.
And to all of the mothers that I know, new and experienced, young and old(er), I hope tomorrow that you feel as honored, loved, and blessed as you are. Happy Mother's Day!

No comments: