Sunday, March 20, 2011

Spring Is In the Air

Lately, I've been a lazy blogger. This has to do, in part, with a schedule that has simply been filled to the brim. Part of it, too, has to do with the changing season. Today is the first day of spring. Seemingly overnight, the dead limbs have become covered with soft gray fuzz and the brown ground has transformed into green grass.



This spring, part of me is full of ideas and half-finished sentences and plans waiting to take shape. Part of me wants to blog about food and books and unplanned adventures.

 

But a corner of my soul wants to stop moving and talking and doing. Part of me desperately needs to just sit and take in the beauty and new life and warmth as I quietly watch the blossoms and trees and world unfold all around me.


Yesterday I lay on the grass, reading Annie Dillard and staring at the planes soaring far above me. And somewhere between awake and asleep, between the grass and the sky, between late afternoon and early evening, spring came to my soul too.
 

Questions and anxieties that built up in my mind and heart with the winter snows floated away with the spring breezes. Some questions were answered. Some anxieties were resolved. Some won't ever be. But maybe peace doesn't come through knowing as much as through accepting.


I can't fight the onward march of life and time any more than I can resist the rushing onslaught of spring. But really, who would want to? Sometimes working and striving and talking and blogging do less for the soul than just lying outside on the grass, breathing in the warm March air and welcoming the coming of spring.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for this.

Sarah said...

Wow! Your so Poetic. I never knew you could be like that. :-)

Emily said...

Thanks, both of you, for your kind words!